ABOUT ME



My Twitter Page

Saturday, September 25, 2004

ENTERTAINMENT: A Little Bit of Rock Music History



I was watching this show on public television, Great Performances - John Lennon's Jukebox. And on it, they were interviewing one of the singer's on his jukebox, Fontella Bass. Apparently, she was the first to do "Rescue Me", that song so strongly associate with Aretha Franklin.

And Fontella was talking about when she was recording the song. I guess they had a really strong groove going on. And while she was recording the song, the songwriters came up with another verse. So they slid it under the recording room door.

Well, Fontella didn't want to stop the band since it was going so well. So instead of just stopping and just quit singing, she started humming. Then as she was humming, she reached down for the lyrics. That way, the recording could keep going.

Then Aretha just did it the same way, and that's why "Rescue Me" has that little humming bit in it.

Related links:

Great Performances - John Lennon's Jukebox - on PBS
Great Performances - Lennon's Musical Inspiration - Fontella Bass - on PBS
Fontella Bass - Life Story
Fontella Bass: Coming Full Circle
All Music Guide's take on Fontella Bass

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey its arielle! cool site.

Blog Archive

My Blog List

My Twitter Page

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Ask Me Anything From FormSpring.Me

MUSIC

Some Of The Lastest Songs I've Enjoyed

My Internet Radio Stations


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
MOVIES

Some Movies I've Seen (Or Reseen) Recently

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Last 20 Movies I've Reviewed On Flixster

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Movies I Want To See The Most, But Haven't Yet

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

My Favorite Movies

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.