ABOUT ME



My Twitter Page

Monday, September 27, 2004

SPIRITUALITY/RELIGION: A Little Dialogue on Spirituality vs Religion

Here's a little spiritual dialogue I had on the AOL Religion and Spirituality message board - or it be a religious dialogue, depending on how you look at it.

Message 1 of 72 Subject 2 of 2
Subject: help in general
Date: 8/27/2004 9:10 PM Central Standard Time
From: name removed

i was born Catholic & was never happy or felt i fully understood everything in the teachings , i had a rather difficult childhood & found a group of Baptist who changed my life & gave me guidance in understanding life, but unfortunately i was away at the time I met them and when i came home i slowly started loosing my faith. anyway i've been turning to the wrong things in life & not happy as a person. I want to live life healthy & happy... I am 18 & i feel i am not ready be characterized as one religion (not wanting to offend anyone who is dedicated to one religion i think faith is a beautiful thing). anyway i'm just looking for some support, no particular religion. just some one to help me through the struggles in life. i would love to gain knowledge of other religions- the thing is all my friends aren't into religion & spirituality & they turn to drinking & more material things in life to make them happy. i on the other hand don't want to be surrounded by things of that nature. i feel my life is just better without & just want someone who i can relate to. Sorry for rambling. *thank you* P.S- I do believe there is a God & do have strong faith in that who he or she is... i haven't cleared that up yet


Message 67 of 72 Subject 1 of 1
Subject: Re: help in general
Date: 9/6/2004 12:08 AM Central Standard Time
From: OlderMusicGeek

I, too, was raised Catholic, and still feel some cultural and ethnic ties to Catholicism, though I no longer believe in The Bible.

I was a hard-core atheist for a while. But now I'm basically "spiritual, but not religious", as they say.

I find I like walking and finding my own path. It's more difficult than going on a trail already there, but I find it more satisfying.

But if you like joining with others, you might try the Unitarians. If that doesn't work, check the Bahai's and Hare Krishnas, and there are scores of others that try to blend all the religions.

That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck.


Message 68 of 72 Subject 1 of 1
Subject: Re: help in general
Date: 9/6/2004 5:27 PM Central Standard Time
From: other name deleted

>From: OlderMusicGeek
>But now I'm basically "spiritual, but not religious", as they say. I find I like walking and finding my own path. It's more difficult than going on a trail already there, but I find it more satisfying.

This post made me smile. It's not too often that you run across a person who likes to take the path less traveled and learn from it as well in today's society. There's so much that we as humans could teach one another, but so many refuse to do so. It's sad.


Message 70 of 72 Subject 1 of 1
Subject: Re: help in general
Date: 9/7/2004 9:21 AM Central Standard Time
From: third name deleted

What is the difference between spiritual and religious from your point of view?
Is spiritual- believing there is a god and not using our actions to be an example to others in our actions about God? Do spiritual people read the bible?
Are religious persons- the out there every time the door of the church is open you should be there. Putting down others but not looking in
the mirror at themselves.
How do you view religious and spiritual?


Message 71 of 72 Subject 1 of 1
Subject: Re: help in general
Date: 9/7/2004 10:09 AM Central Standard Time
From: fourth name deleted

From: third name deleted - What is the difference between spiritual and religious from your point of view?

Is spiritual- believing there is a god and not using our actions to be an example to others in our actions about God. Do spiritual people read the bible?

Spirituality means different things to different people. It could be a belief in God/Goddess or no belief at all. For me, Spirituality means looking inside myself for the answers. Learning about myself and how I connect to the world around me. I believe everyone has that inside them, they just have to look for it. As far as reading the bible, it would depend on if you believe in it.

Are religious persons- the out there every time the door of the church is open you should be there? Putting down others but not looking in the mirror at themselves.

It depends on how you look at the question. A religious person is one who believes in a religion. I don't adhere to any organized religion but I do consider myself religious. To me it is a journey. I am learning every day and what I learn influences my tomorrows. IMO, people who put down others are insecure in themselves and do this to try and justify their beliefs. I prefer to look at the positive. I think it does so much more for my Spirituality.


Message 72 of 72 Subject 1 of 1
Subject: Re: help in general
Date: 9/14/2004 1:48 AM Central Standard Time
From: OlderMusicGeek

What is the difference between spiritual and religious from your point of view?

well, to me, being religious it basically following a certain religion or sect.

whereas spiritual, is being interested in all that stuff like is there a god, is there an afterlife, do we have souls, without necessarily using a certain religion to help them answer it. Though one may.

i think religious people are spiritual, but not all us spiritual people are religious.

i guess that's the difference to me in a nutshell.

Mystic Visions Discussion Forums: Religion vs spirituality
Religion vs. Spirituality - Science Technology Services
Vikar's Rant: Religion Vs. Spirituality
The Indus Telegraph Religion vs. spirituality
AOL Message Board on Religion and Spirituality

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there OlderMusicGeek, I was just cruising the blogosphere searching for the latest information on and came across this great blog. Although SPIRITUALITY/RELIGION - A Little Dialogue on Spirituality vs Religion wasn’t quite what I was looking for, it has excellent articles. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for related topics. I’m glad I stop by, keep up the good work.

Blog Archive

My Blog List

My Twitter Page

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Ask Me Anything From FormSpring.Me

MUSIC

Some Of The Lastest Songs I've Enjoyed

My Internet Radio Stations


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
MOVIES

Some Movies I've Seen (Or Reseen) Recently

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Last 20 Movies I've Reviewed On Flixster

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Movies I Want To See The Most, But Haven't Yet

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

My Favorite Movies

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.