ABOUT ME



My Twitter Page

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

SCIENCE: The Quest to Design the Perfect Yawn

I picked this up from NPR. I found it amusing and am passing it on. - OlderMusicGeek

The Quest to Design the Perfect Yawn

All Things Considered, September 24, 2007 · Robert Provine had this deliciously dangerous idea.

The professor of psychology at the University of Maryland remembered the famous Monty Python sketch about a joke so funny it killed anyone who heard it; The British, naturally, wanted to use it against the Germans, the Germans visa versa, and both sides furiously pushed to develop the first "Doomsday Joke."

Professor Provine decided to do the same thing, but not with a joke. He proposed a Doomsday Yawn.

Provine, who has spent 20 years studying laughter and is the author of a well respected book why we laugh, is an expert on contagious behaviors. He decided, (since he has tenure and why not?) to try to design a yawn so powerful it would make everyone who saw it yawn back. That was his goal: the 100 percent contagious yawn.

The 55 Percent Barrier

A number of studies (including his own) found that a medley of ordinary yawns on video played to a classroom for five minutes would induce a responsive yawn in 55 percent of the audience. So that was his starting point: could he design a yawn powerful enough to move from a 55 percent response right up to Total Yawn-ness?

He tried.

link to the whole article

No comments:

Blog Archive

My Blog List

My Twitter Page

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Ask Me Anything From FormSpring.Me

MUSIC

Some Of The Lastest Songs I've Enjoyed

My Internet Radio Stations


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
MOVIES

Some Movies I've Seen (Or Reseen) Recently

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Last 20 Movies I've Reviewed On Flixster

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Movies I Want To See The Most, But Haven't Yet

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

My Favorite Movies

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.