ABOUT ME



My Twitter Page

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

CULTURE/SOCIETY and ENTERTAINMENT: Me, My Daughter, Our Taste in Music and the Corruption of Her Friends

This is from me, not reprinted from somewhere else. - OlderMusicGeek.

The more I discuss music with my daughter, the more I worry about her.

She was telling me other day,that her classmates were saying that her outfit almost looked emo.

To which I replied, “Oh no!”

“What’s wrong with emo?!” she asked offendedly.

“Well, I don’t really know about the emo look, “ I admitted. “I just know the music sucks.”

“I kind of like emo. What’s wrong with emo music?”

“Except for the fact that it sounds like washed out punk rock, nothing.”

My daughter once again had her problem with her eyes rolling into her head.


And I realized, my daughter’s friends had corrupted her even more into their ways!

When she was a young thing before starting school, punk rock, alternative and electronica were her favorite types of music. And she would tell people that too.

Now, she likes top 40 and rap. And that popular rap, not the edgy stuff! I could respect her, if not agree with her, if she liked the edgy stuff!

As one of my friends on the internet said when I told him about this, “Those fiends!”


But there is some hope. She did say the other week, “I don’t hate bluegrass. I actually like it. It’s just not some of my favorite music.”


And back in December when I was playing my Christmas music, she asked, “Cajun Christmas music?”

“That’s right.”

She nodded her head in approval.

Wow, I thought, how many tweens have even heard of Cajun music, much less know it when they hear it. And appreciate it!

And if she can know and appreciate Cajun music, there just might be some hope for her!

Posts about my daughter

Posts about music on OlderMusicGeek's Stupid Stuff
Posts about music on OlderMusicGeek's Stupid Entertainment Stuff

For those of you who don't know, here's a video explaining what emo is.

No comments:

Blog Archive

My Blog List

My Twitter Page

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Ask Me Anything From FormSpring.Me

MUSIC

Some Of The Lastest Songs I've Enjoyed

My Internet Radio Stations


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
MOVIES

Some Movies I've Seen (Or Reseen) Recently

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Last 20 Movies I've Reviewed On Flixster

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Movies I Want To See The Most, But Haven't Yet

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

My Favorite Movies

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.