ABOUT ME



My Twitter Page

Saturday, August 16, 2014

MY LIFE - Intelligence vs what's really important

I was recently reminded of the time I learned my dad could have joined MENSA.

I don't really remember when this was. I could have been in high school or college, but it might have been later.

I had always known my dad was a very intelligent man, but I didn't know he was that bright.

So when I asked why he didn't join Mensa, his reply was so typically my dad! Don't remember his exact words, but it was something along the lines of "Why would I want to enjoy a snooty organization like that?! What would I do with a group like that?!"

I think my dad found the idea of Mensa as repulsive and stupid as having an organization for the top 2% richest people or tallest people.

That was the great thing about my dad, and my mom! They both taught me that intelligence is a great gift that should be prized and fostered, but that other traits, such as kindness, sympathy, understanding, patience, tolerance, among others, were more important.

After all, great as intelligence is, like good looks, it comes mostly from your genes and how you were nurtured. And is largely out of your hands. If you have it, you should prize it, nurture it, and make use of it, but you don't control that much about how intelligent you'll be.

On other hand, you DO control a lot about how kind, sympathetic, understanding, etc, you will be!

And that is a wonderful lesson my parents taught me, and I hope I passed onto my daughter, and am passing onto my stepson.

No comments:

Blog Archive

My Blog List

My Twitter Page

My Twitter Page On Entertainment

Ask Me Anything From FormSpring.Me

MUSIC

Some Of The Lastest Songs I've Enjoyed

My Internet Radio Stations


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
MOVIES

Some Movies I've Seen (Or Reseen) Recently

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Last 20 Movies I've Reviewed On Flixster

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

The Movies I Want To See The Most, But Haven't Yet

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.

My Favorite Movies

Sorry for the funky layout. It's the only one Flixster has.